How to drink Absinthe correctly is the issue a lot of people have if they have been able to obtain a bottle of the Green Fairy. In La Belle Epoque in France every person knew how to serve and drink Absinthe, it was part of the society and was even more widespread compared to wine.
The knowledge of how to drink Absinthe was lost until recent years because of the ban on Absinthe practically in most countries for several decades. In the United States it had been banned in 1912 and Absinthes including the “Lucid” brand have only just gone available for sale in the US https://absinthe-kits.com in 2007.
How To Drink Absinthe While using the Standard “Ritual”
This is the genuine procedure for preparing Absinthe utilized in pre ban times in the nineteenth century in France and Switzerland. There is an art to using this method and it is based on the use of a steady hand.
– Pour a shot of Absinthe directly into an Absinthe glass or huge glass.
– Rest a slotted Absinthe spoon over the top of the glass and place a cube of sugar over the spoon.
– Carefully drip iced water on the sugar so that the sugar dissolves and drips throughout the slots into your Absinthe. Either use an Absinthe fountain or dripper to control the dripping or make use of a very steady hand to pour the water coming from a carafe.
– Observe the Absinthe louche (become cloudy) as the water mixes in the alcohol.
– Take pleasure in your Absinthe.
How To Drink Absinthe While using Modern day Bohemian or Czech Approach
This is a more sophisticated method that is a bit of fun and is scorned by a lot of Absinthe drinkers. It is often combined with cheaper Czech Absinthes and Absinthes which have a reduced alcohol content. Care must be taken when setting alcohol alight.
– Pour a shot of Absinthe directly into an Absinthe glass.
– Saturate the sugar cube inside the Absinthe and after that place on an Absinthe spoon sitting on the rim of the glass.
– Employing a lighter or match, set the sugar on fire and observe it as it caramelizes , melts and drips in to the Absinthe, it could set the Absinthe on fire too.
– Slowly pour iced water to the Absinthe to extinguish the flames also to make the Absinthe louche.
– Ingest your Absinthe.
Ratios of water to Absinthe rely on taste but a ratio of between 3:1 and 5:1 water to Absinthe is the advised dilution.
How To Drink Absinthe in Cocktails
Ernest Hemingway famously created “Death in the Afternoon” – a cocktail of Absinthe and champagne, but there are plenty of other cocktail recipes for Absinthe. You do have to take into account that Absinthe is a very strong Alcoholic drink and is roughly twice the potency of other spirits just like vodka and whisky.
Absinthe and Vodka – Combine 3 parts Absinthe with one part high quality vodka in an iced glass (out of the freezer) and garnish with a sprig of mint.
Absinthe Explosion – Combine 3 parts Tequila, 4 parts vodka, 3 parts whisky and 7 parts Absinthe. Add ice and after that stir.
Absinthe Bloody Mary – Put 1 shot of Absinthe into a cocktail glass with ice and top-up with tomato juice. Put in a dash of Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco sauce and season with pepper and salt.
There are several alternative methods of how to drink Absinthe and you could even invent your individual cocktails.