There is much fascination with Absinthe, the drink referred to as the Green Fairy or La Fee Verte. People wish to know how to buy it, which type to purchase, the best way to prepare it and what’s the suggested quantity of Absinthe to work with when contriving a drink.
Firstly you need to purchase a quality Absinthe that’s rich in essential oils and that contains wormwood. There are lots of Absinthe substitutes and fake Absinthes absinthekit available for sale that contain southernwood or roman wormwood rather than common wormwood (artemisia absinthium). Ensure you obtain a proper real Absinthe. If you reside in a country where it is difficult to find a high quality Absinthe then you might create your own Absinthe using essences from AbsintheKit.com.
Once you have got your Absinthe, you will need to learn The Ritual, or La Louche. This is the standard French or Swiss way of preparing Absinthe and it uses one shot of Absinthe. Here are the instructions:-
To perform the Ritual, you’ll need an Absinthe glass, a slotted Absinthe spoon, a lump of sugar as well as iced water.
– Pour 25-50ml of Absinthe to the glass.
– Rest the Absinthe spoon on the rim of the glass and place a cube of sugar on it.
– Slowly drip iced water on the sugar either by dripping from the tap of the fountain or by using a stable hand to pour from a carafe. Dripping it slowly will give the sugar opportunity to dissolve and drip throughout the slots of the spoon. You ought to view a lovely “louche” effect as the water mixes into the alcohol. The Absinthe louches because the essential oils of the herbs are soluble in alcohol although not in water and so have the mixture cloudy or milky when water is added.
– Sit back and luxuriate in your Absinthe drink.
The Bohemian or Czech Method is very similar to the Ritual but is a modern way of preparing cheap Czech Absinthes. The Bohemian technique is scorned by many Absinthe followers.
Instructions and techniques for utilizing the Bohemian method:-
– Pour 25-50ml of Absinthe to the glass and dip the sugar cube in it to soak the sugar.
– Place sugar cube to the Absinthe spoon and rest within the rim of the glass.
– Set the sugar cube alight for 1 minute to allow the sugar to caramelize and melt. The sugar need to drip through the slots of the spoon and into the Absinthe.
– Position the spoon into the Absinthe and pour the iced water in to the Absinthe to set out any flames and to cause the Absinthe to louche.
– Enjoy your Absinthe drink.
If you’d like to enjoy your Absinthe properly the you will need some Absinthiana – Absinthe glasses, spoons and maybe even an Absinthe fountain to manipulate the flow of the water. Replicas of antique spoons and glasses can be acquired from AbsintheKit.com.
So, what is the recommended amount of Absinthe to work with in planning an Absinthe drink? About 45ml or maybe a US shot. Obviously, you can use Absinthe in cocktails too – search for recipes online.