Henri-Louis Pernod, who first distilled industrial Absinthe during the early 19th century in Pontarlier, France, utilized a wine alcohol base. He distilled the alcohol with herbs just like wormwood, fennel, aniseed, hyssop, angelica, lemon balm, star anise, juniper, veronica, dittany as well as nutmeg. Wine is the conventional base for Absinthe but a majority of distillers use other sorts of alcohol.
If you try to find Absinthe recipes online, you will notice that many of them involve steeping blends of herbs in liquor like Everclear, white rum or vodka.
How can you Produce Absinthe at home?
Even though some recipes online are for distilling Absinthe, distillation of liquor without a license is illegal in several countries and you also have to have the right equipment and you also need to know what you are doing. So, are there more methods for making Absinthe?
– Steeping and Filtering – This usually involves steeping herbs like wormwood, fennel, aniseed, calamus root, star anise, mint, coriander seeds, cloves etc. for a while or possibly a couple of weeks in the neutral alcohol base and then filtering. Just distillation will give you a true Absinthe, this will just provide you with an Absinthe flavored vodka.
– Employing an Absinthe Kit – Most of the kits available on the web, like the ones from Green Devil, are simply steeping kits. They may be easier than discovering and preparing your own herbs but you are just steeping the herbs in vodka again and making a flavored vodka.
– Using an Absinthe kit form AbsintheKit.com is a less difficult and better method to make Absinthe in your own home. AbsintheKit.com create essences for the Absinthe industry as well as the essences are made by distilling conventional Absinthe herbs in alcohol. The distillation is completed for you and all you have to do is mix the essence with vodka or Everclear and you have a true Absinthe drink.
The essences are available in four different types:-
– Classic Green Essence to make a vintage “verte” Absinthe having a thujone content of 35mg per bottle.
– Clear Absinthe Essence to create a clandestine La Bleue style Absinthe. This too includes a thujone content of 35mg.
– Orange Essence to make Absinthe which has a twist. This essence could make a yellow-orange coloured Absinthe which has a natural orange flavor and also a thujone content of 35mg.
– Strong 55 Essence will make an Absinthe with a higher thujone content (55mg) and also a more bitter wormwood flavor.
You may either get a 20ml bottle of essence for $3.95 to make one 750ml bottle of Absinthe or obtain a kit for $29 to create 14 bottles of Absinthe. A kit also includes a handy plastic gauge and 14 imaginative bottle labels. All you need to supply is the neutral alcohol base. Remember that the alcohol content of your Absinthe will depend on your alcohol base. Be cautious, drink Absinthe moderately because it is a substantially more powerful beverage than other spirits and also fermented drinks.
What alcohol is use in Absinthe? A wine alcohol base or maybe a neutral alcohol which does not have a substantial taste of its own – Everclear, vodka or 151 rum.