Henri-Louis Pernod, who first distilled industrial Absinthe during the early 19th century in Pontarlier, France, used a wine alcohol base. He distilled the alcohol with herbs just like wormwood, fennel, aniseed, hyssop, angelica, lemon balm, star anise, juniper, veronica, dittany and also nutmeg absinthe glass. Wine is the traditional base for Absinthe but some distillers use other types of alcohol.
If you search for Absinthe recipes online, you will see that a lot of them include steeping blends of herbs in liquor just like Everclear, white rum or vodka.
Just how do you Produce Absinthe from home?
Although some recipes on the internet are for distilling Absinthe, distillation of liquor without a license is prohibited in many countries and also you require the right equipment and you have to know what you’re doing. So, are there any other ways of making Absinthe?
– Steeping and Filtering – This typically involves steeping herbs like wormwood, fennel, aniseed, calamus root, star anise, mint, coriander seeds, cloves etc. for a while or perhaps a couple of weeks within the neutral alcohol base and then filtering. Exclusively distillation can provide a real Absinthe, this will just give you an Absinthe flavored vodka.
– Employing an Absinthe Kit – Almost all of the kits available on the internet, such as the ones from Green Devil, are just steeping kits. They’re easier than obtaining and preparing your personal herbs however you are merely steeping the herbs in vodka again and coming up with a flavored vodka.
– Using an Absinthe kit form AbsintheKit.com is a less difficult and much better way to make Absinthe from home. AbsintheKit.com develop essences for the Absinthe industry as well as the essences are produced by distilling standard Absinthe herbs in alcohol. The distillation is performed for you and all you need to do is mix the essence with vodka or Everclear and you’ve got a true Absinthe drink.
The essences are available in four different varieties:-
– Classic Green Essence to create a traditional “verte” Absinthe with a thujone content of 35mg per bottle.
– Clear Absinthe Essence to produce a clandestine La Bleue style Absinthe. This too has a thujone content of 35mg.
– Orange Essence to make Absinthe which has a twist. This essence will make a yellow-orange colored Absinthe having a natural orange flavor as well as a thujone content of 35mg.
– Strong 55 Essence is likely to make an Absinthe having a higher thujone content (55mg) and a more bitter wormwood flavour.
You can either obtain a 20ml bottle of essence for $3.95 to create one 750ml bottle of Absinthe or get a kit for $29 to make 14 bottles of Absinthe. A kit also includes a handy plastic measure and 14 artistic bottle labels. All you need to supply is the neutral alcohol base. Keep in mind that the alcohol content of your Absinthe will depend on your alcohol base. Be cautious, drink Absinthe in moderation since it is a significantly stronger beverage than other spirits and also fermented drinks.
What alcohol is use in Absinthe? A wine alcohol base or perhaps a neutral alcohol which does not have a substantial taste of its own – Everclear, vodka or 151 rum.